Spring Top Sewalong – Part 2

For my second project as part of the Spring Top Sewalong over at Made by Rae, I finally made a top that’s been on my mind for some time. Last Summer I fell in love with this Liberty print blouse from Sessùn (no longer available). A ‘smidge’ outside my budget, I set off on a hunt for a similar pattern so that I could make my own. There are a few lovely Peter Pan collared patterns available from independent designers (Violet by Colette, Banksia by Megan Nielsan), but none had quite the fit I wanted or specifically, the scoop neck.

Sessun / Liberty

In the end, I went for a pattern from New Look (6104) and decided to have a go at drafting the collar myself. I chose the body from view A and sleeves from D.

New Look 6104Using the directions from Metric Pattern Cutting for Women’s Wear by Winifred Aldrich, drafting a collar was surprisingly simple!Collar drafting by knitahedron

Collar drafting by knitahedron

I then used the neckline binding from the pattern to bind the inside of the collar / body seam (just visible in the photo below).

Peter Pan blouse by knitahedron

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the result, although I think it could be a teeny bit larger on the bust. The fit it pretty good though and I’ll definately use the pattern again, but I may do a muslin of the next size up first. 🙂

Peter Pan blouse by knitahedron

The fabric is Echino Chelsea by Etsuko Furuya in Deer Forest Purple which I’ve had for maybe 3 years now, waiting for the ‘perfect’ project. Once I get the sizing right, I may treat myself to some Liberty fabric, to more closely recreate the original inspiration top!

Peter Pan blouse by knitahedron

Peter Pan Blouse by knitahedron

Spring Top Sewalong

Spring Top Sewalong – Part 1

I was working on a knitting design earlier in the month and it was just going nowhere. Repeated swatching, trialling, ripping, re-doing and I kept going backwards instead of forwards. All this frustration left me a bit out of love with knitting and in need of a break. Time to crack out the sewing machine!

I bought a bunch of pretty fabric last Summer with plans of greatness, but knitting took over. This year though I’m determined to sneak in some sewing! I knew Rae’s (Made by RaeSpring Top Sewalong would be coming up soon and since I’ve never had a chance to participate before, I had it in mind as a motivation to get started soon.

Rae announced this year’s Sewalong yesterday on her blog and a quick check of the rules revealed that anything completed after March 1st is eligible. Phew! This means the shirt I finished last week is eligible!

The fabric is a pretty, sheer, cotton voile that I bought in my local Karstadt (department store). No idea of the manufacturer.

The pattern is Burda 7136, a fairly classic fitted shirt. I used view ‘A’ but omitted the sleeves.

 

It’s still blimmin freezing here, so I haven’t been able to wear it yet, so here are some indoor pics for the moment.

This is the first garment that I’ve sewn for myself that I am truly happy with! It fits pretty much perfectly.

Floral Blouse by knitahedron.com

After a spate of recent disasters in the sewing department, I was strict and made a practice muslin before cutting into my pretty fabric. I also ignored the sizing / measurements on the pattern instructions and just measured the actual pattern pieces themselves. I’m a size 36.5″ (93 cm) bust, but based on actual pattern piece measurements, I made up size Eur 38 which Burda says is for 34.5″ (88 cm) bust. You can see from the pics, that while the shirt is fitted, it’s by no means tight.

I’ve one more project planned for the Spring Top Sewalong, and for it, I’m drafting a collar  (first time – wheee!) to modify an existing pattern. Stay tuned!